Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Texas Country

Better late than never, I always say...haha.

I just got back from a crazy, short, exhausting trip to Dallas for a research project that I'll be working on this year. It was all expenses paid though so thank you, ACU! My classmates are so funny so we had a really good time. Dehli actually came over to the hotel and chatted it up for a little while so that was definitely the icing on the cake!

Anywho...my blog today is about my newfound love for Texas Country music. Having lived in South Texas for the past 8 years, I do listen to Country music and I absolutely love most of it. In recent conversations though, it was discovered that I didn't know any "Texas Country" music...which, if you didn't know, is different than mainstream country and is, apparently, a HUGE deal up here in Abilene. And since I started watching Friday Night Lights, I figured I needed to become a bit more accustomed to the West Texas way of life.

After hearing some of the names, I did know a few...I just didn't know they were classified different from the rest, like Pat Green, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, Eli Young Band (although, they are pretty mainstream now), and Kevin Fowler. But I guess you learn something new each day...

A friend from church made me two mixed CD's for my birthday stocked full of what he calls the best in Texas Country...and I must say, I really like it! So good job, Kirk! A couple are a little too Honky Tonk for my taste but the rest are really good.

Dehli, here's a picture of some of them, you need to check 'em out.


My top three songs right now are:
1. Who I am by Wade Bowen
2. Next to Heaven by Aaron Watson
3. Good Night for Dancing by Josh Abbott Band

Honorable Mentions - Constantly by CCR, Crazy by Casey Donahew Band, and Feet Don't Touch the Ground by Stoney LaRue.

Del, I'll try to figure out dropbox and see if I can send 'em over to you lol.

Well I'm gonna curl up with Revenge so ttyl!

5 comments:

  1. Yay. I can't wait to check them out! Ill do it when I get back from my mini vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i got the email!! Ill will start downloading them while im at work!

      Delete
  2. Well Im glad his two week late present was a success :) Youll have to let me listen to some when im there next month :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....Yes, Kirk did well (might have to start listening to them in remembrance of him soon...) and I've got a week and a half til it's my turn to deliver the gifts lol...idk what to get him....

      Delete